This is one of my favorite things to have for breakfast on the weekend.
Two medium sized zucchini, sliced 1″ thick
1/2 cup milk
cheddar cheese, shredded
Place in a pan with an inch of water at the bottom. Cook for 15-20 minutes on medium heat until you can push through the edge of one of the slices easily. Basically you want the zucchini to be soft enough that you can easily mash it with a fork.
When it’s done, drain off the water. Add in 1/2 cup milk, butter, shredded cheddar cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
Originally posted August 25, 2006.
I’m going to start this dish tonight, and prepare it for tomorrow night’s dinner.
- 6 slices of firm sourdough bread (I am using my kefir bread, which is very sour — I have used my very sour kefir bread before, and the sour taste is somehow neutralized so that when it is served, it is not sour)
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 medium zucchini squash, sliced thin
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 2 cups (about 1/2 lb.) shredded cheddar cheese (or your choice but not too sharp)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
1) Spread butter on slices of bread and arrange buttered side down in 9 x 13 inch dish. 2) Distribute corn evenly. Arrange zucchini over corn.
3) Sprinkle chiles over zucchini. 4) Sprinkle cheese over the top.
Beat eggs slightly, then beat in milk, salt & pepper. Pour egg mixture over cheese. Cover & refrigerate overnight.
Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven for 30-40 minutes, or until lightly brown & puffed. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6-8 servings.
Until next time.